It has been so hot here, getting photos of this dress has been a nightmare! The first time we went, we gave up after about 20 minutes, but the second, we managed to stick with it long enough to get some good photos! I have to say as much as I love summer, I’m ready for the weather to cool off.
After a few hiccups, it’s done! My 1920s robe de style is completed (sans hemming, which I am procrastinating because hemming taffeta sounds like an awful way to spend an evening). This post will cover making the robe de style itself. I will be doing a separate post with details on making the headache band.
I’ve finally started my first ‘big’ costume project of 2015 (only a few months in!). I decided on a Renaissance gown from Italy in the late 1400s, because it’s one of my favorite periods. The garments from this period are all gorgeous, and I’ve been wanting to undertake one for a while. Before I could start on the dress, though, I needed to work on the undergarment – a chemise. It was a fairly easy and pain-free process, and this post will cover making it.
This week I’ve been busy working on my 1840s dress. It’s been a frustrating, long process, and everything that could have gone wrong, has. However, in the end, I’m actually not hating the final product, so all’s well that ends well! Through a process of trial and error, I managed to make something at I am actually pretty proud of. This post will cover making the bodice and undergarments. I was actually pretty good about photographing this process, so this post is very picture heavy!
I took photos of my Sailor Dress this weekend! I loved how most of these turned out, and I did some editing to give some of them a vintage-y feel, but I definitely think the old fashioned Pepsi bottles and the dress itself helped. Excuse being able to see my petticoat in some of these – I only have a black one that works for this dress as of now, and it’s a teeny bit long. I have a white one, but the black one has more floof, and I think the dress really needed it. You can read about how this dress was made here, and view more photos below.
I’ve been working on this dress for awhile now, but in between little breaks because life has been pretty crazy! I still have to add a little charm or brooch to the gap between the front collar, but for now, I’m pretty content calling this dress basically finished! It wasn’t super difficult, but it was a good learning experience, and was pretty fun to make.
The 1808 Regency Evening Gown was my second costume piece, and created and finished before my blog was around. It took about 20 – 25 hours of work (AKA 3 days of being snowed in), and also involved an underskirt with a drawstring waist. It was my first time making something with eyelets, my first period piece, and the first time I made something with sleeves that didn’t turn out looking completely wonky. I once again only have some phone pictures of its progress, but will be attempting to explain how it was made using them.