An Embroidered Wedding Dress…

My radio silence is over! I can finally talk about this dress and the (many, many) hours of work that went into it. 103 hours of stitching, some blood, some spit, and a few dozen tears later, it was reception ready!

This is going to be a pretty photo heavy post, partly because I can’t pick between the dozens of beautiful photos Sunshower Photography took!

Advertisements

A Change

You may have noticed, things are a little bit different around here. You see, when I started this blog, I was barely 17 years old. I was taking my first leaps into the worlds of sewing, and soon after that, vintage style and fashion. My first project was a fairy costume, and my second, a regency gown.

But, as life goes, things change. I moved out from my house which had a dedicated sewing and arts studio, to a 600 square foot loft which doesn’t have much room for yards and yards of fabric, notions, trims, and a machine to go along with it. I began to focus more on retro style and fashion, and less on costuming and design.

DIY: Hair Accessories Organizer

hair-board-3

I have a lot of hair bows. A lot. And storing them all in a drawer wasn’t working very well, so I decided I needed a better storage solution! It took a few hours, and then it was ready to hang on the wall and hang dozens of bows and flowers on!

You’ll Need:

  • A 12×12 blank activity board (I found mine in Michaels)
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Ribbon
  • Hot Glue and Glue Gun

Tutorial: De-Poofing a Petticoat

petticoat-1

What? Me, writing a post about wanting a petticoat to be less poofy? Since school has started, and I have to sit on tiny chairs all day, having a big, poofy skirt has been impractical, so I’ve been liking a more subtle look more and more. However, I don’t really have a petticoat that gives a subtle 50s shape, and I was scared to cut one of mine and have it fail miserably! When I saw Modcloth was having a sale on their short purple petticoat, I bought it, and then proceeded to pretty successfully tone down the poof to a more suitable for everyday amount.

The Floral Silk Dress

dsc04865

School has been so busy I’ve barely been sewing! I have about 100 ideas I want to get started on as soon as things calm down a bit. I did, however, manage to find some time to photograph a couple of creations I made just before school began! One of these is my floral silk dress. It’s got a 50’s style darted bodice (because what else do I make anymore honestly) and a full circle skirt. I’m wearing a small petticoat in these pictures, but it’s just very twirly and voluminous on it’s own!

The 1950’s Picnic Dress

DSC03746

My newest 1950’s dress! I call it my picnic dress because the pattern sort of reminds me a vintage picnic blanket. I love the soft colours and the v-neck, and I’m so happy with how it turned out. Photos are by Chris Mackay. Unfortunately I didn’t take many progress photos of this, but it took around 7 hours to make, and we ventured out on a 93 degree day to photograph it. More pictures are below!

The Robe de Style, Part One

IMGP7085

I have been dying to make a new historical costume for the last few months! I’ve had a 1920s Robe de Style on my list for a while now, and when I got some peach pink taffeta on sale, I decided it was time to get to it! This post will focus on making the undergarment for a robe de style that gives it it’s iconic shape, and is based off the pocket hoops and panniers of the 1700s.