The Robe de Style, Part 3

20160717_151331

This post will cover some details on making my headache band for my Robe de Style.

Advertisements

The Robe de Style, Part 2

20160717_150335

After a few hiccups, it’s done! My 1920s robe de style is completed (sans hemming, which I am procrastinating because hemming taffeta sounds like an awful way to spend an evening). This post will cover making the robe de style itself. I will be doing a separate post with details on making the headache band.

The Robe de Style, Part One

IMGP7085

I have been dying to make a new historical costume for the last few months! I’ve had a 1920s Robe de Style on my list for a while now, and when I got some peach pink taffeta on sale, I decided it was time to get to it! This post will focus on making the undergarment for a robe de style that gives it it’s iconic shape, and is based off the pocket hoops and panniers of the 1700s.

Costume in Detail Book Review

IMGP5648

It’s been all kinds of crazy this last fortnight! I feel like I’ve spent all my time running from place to place. Consequently, I have a lot of sewing projects started, but not much to actually report. So, instead of my usual sewing post this week, I’ll be writing a quick review of Costume in Detail (Nancy Bradfield), which is the newest historical costuming book I’ve bought. It’s also probably one of my new favorites (and you can find it on Amazon here).

The Warrior Dress, Photos

IMGP4731

 

I finished editing the final photos of my warrior dress! Overall, I’m not thrilled with how it turned out. I would like to remake the bodice sometime in the future, since I think I have enough fabric left. I also would like to eventually remake the skirt with the original fabric I wanted, although that’s less of a priority. However, I still think it turned out ok, so here are photos.

The Rose Fairy, Part One

IMGP4512

This outfit will be the first in a series of rose and flower themed dresses I’ll be making – one will be more costumey (this one), the other more high fashion / red carpet, and the last likely a ball gown, because it is something I’ve been dying to attempt again). I am pretty excited for it, although I admit I’m not 100% sure it will turn out exactly how I want, but here’s hoping it goes perfectly. The post below will describe making the base for the outfit, a skin-colored leotard.

The Warrior Dress, Part Two

IMGP4600

This dress is not going as well as my last. Although everything has been going ok construction wise, I’m not loving how it turned out – there were a few things I had to change from my original design because of not being able to find the right fabric and so on. However, it still turned out pretty well, and overall was constructed pretty soundly too, so hopefully I’ll fall in love with it when it’s all together! This post will cover making the bodice.

The Warrior Dress, Part One

IMGP4423

In the past week, I’ve been collecting fabric for five upcoming projects, and doing all the sketches and preparation for them. Consequently, I haven’t had much interesting stuff to post. Hopefully soon I can post a fabric haul or a preview of what’s to come, but until then, I have managed to make some progress on a new project! I have had this idea in my head for over half a year, but never could find the perfect bodice fabric. However, the other day, I spotted some that would work perfectly, and since then, have started to finally make some leeway on the design. 🙂 This post will cover making the pleated, floor-length skirt.

The 1495 Italian Dress, Part One

IMGP4071I’ve finally started my first ‘big’ costume project of 2015 (only a few months in!). I decided on a Renaissance gown from Italy in the late 1400s, because it’s one of my favorite periods. The garments from this period are all gorgeous, and I’ve been wanting to undertake one for a while. Before I could start on the dress, though, I needed to work on the undergarment – a chemise. It was a fairly easy and pain-free process, and this post will cover making it.