After a few hiccups, it’s done! My 1920s robe de style is completed (sans hemming, which I am procrastinating because hemming taffeta sounds like an awful way to spend an evening). This post will cover making the robe de style itself. I will be doing a separate post with details on making the headache band.
My newest 1950’s dress! I call it my picnic dress because the pattern sort of reminds me a vintage picnic blanket. I love the soft colours and the v-neck, and I’m so happy with how it turned out. Photos are by Chris Mackay. Unfortunately I didn’t take many progress photos of this, but it took around 7 hours to make, and we ventured out on a 93 degree day to photograph it. More pictures are below!
I have been dying to make a new historical costume for the last few months! I’ve had a 1920s Robe de Style on my list for a while now, and when I got some peach pink taffeta on sale, I decided it was time to get to it! This post will focus on making the undergarment for a robe de style that gives it it’s iconic shape, and is based off the pocket hoops and panniers of the 1700s.
Since getting back and recovering from jetlag, I’ve started sewing again, but I’ve also been pretty distracted from sewing because I finally got a Cricut machine! I love slogan t-shirts and I’ve always wanted to be able to make my own, so it was a pretty exciting purchase. These are some of the shirts I’ve made so far, and I have to say I think I’m in love with this little machine.
I love the sun, but oh my gosh it was bright when I was taking these! Hopefully I’m not glare squinting too much. I’m overall really happy with how this dress turned out! The light washed it out a tiny bit, but I still think they’re nice pictures and you can see the overall construction and style of the dress! The post on how it was made is here. More pictures below the cut!
I originally bought this fabric for me, and ended up using it to make House of Strawberries dresses! However, since I only had a bit left and couldn’t find it online for sale anywhere, i thought it was finally time to make myself a dress. I had my eye on this dress, but it wasn’t available in my size, so I decided to make my own version.
Please note this is my last post before my vacation. I will be travelling to Shanghai, Tokyo, and Sydney (my home town!). All emails, inquiries, and questions will be responded to, but there may be some delay. You can follow my trip on Instagram here! Some posts will be posting to this blog but they are running on a queue. See you all at the end of May!
I got photos of this skirt the other day! I’d eventually like to try and get some nicer, not-in-my-sewing-studio ones, but for now these are just fine. I love how the colors of the skirt stand out!
I’m going on vacation at the end of this month, so I figured I needed a bag to keep all my dirty clothes in (so I’m not accidentally wearing dirty things half my trip!) I looked into buying one, but I realized they’re so easy to make, I may as well just whip it up myself. This is a great project for beginning sewists and advanced alike – it only takes a few hours, it’s easy, and it’s super useful!