Robe de Style, Photos

DSC04471

It has been so hot here, getting photos of this dress has been a nightmare! The first time we went, we gave up after about 20 minutes, but the second, we managed to stick with it long enough to get some good photos! I have to say as much as I love summer, I’m ready for the weather to cool off.

Advertisements

The 1950’s Picnic Dress

DSC03746

My newest 1950’s dress! I call it my picnic dress because the pattern sort of reminds me a vintage picnic blanket. I love the soft colours and the v-neck, and I’m so happy with how it turned out. Photos are by Chris Mackay. Unfortunately I didn’t take many progress photos of this, but it took around 7 hours to make, and we ventured out on a 93 degree day to photograph it. More pictures are below!

The Robe de Style, Part One

IMGP7085

I have been dying to make a new historical costume for the last few months! I’ve had a 1920s Robe de Style on my list for a while now, and when I got some peach pink taffeta on sale, I decided it was time to get to it! This post will focus on making the undergarment for a robe de style that gives it it’s iconic shape, and is based off the pocket hoops and panniers of the 1700s.

The Halloween Dress 2015

IMGP5810

I’m back! My surgery went as planned, so I’m slowly getting back into things. I did manage to finish my Halloween dress for the year, which is a nice accomplishment. After seeing the finished product, I was tempted to call this the retro pumpkin dress, which sounds silly, but I absolutely love it! It’s definitely 50’s inspired, and I still think the fabric is adorable.  This post will cover making the dress, and hopefully I’ll have photos soon!

The 1790s Dress, Photos

IMGP5722

I finally got photos of my 1790s dress! This is actually the second set of photos I’ve taken of it – the first didn’t come out due to bad lighting (it’s been storming here all week). Luckily, they came out this time, and I have some proper pictures. I’d love to eventually photograph this dress in a proper, pretty setting (and not just in my apartment), but for now I’m pretty pleased with these.

The 1790s Dress, Part Two

IMGP5566

The second post of my 1790s Dress! I’ve meant to work on other projects in between this dress and have a few things going, but somehow all my attention has ended up on this gown. This post will cover the sleeves and the overdress skirt. Part One can be viewed here, and you can see the dress I am basing this off of. It’s not going to look entirely like it, but you can see where my inspiration came from.

The 1790s Dress, Part One

IMGP5528

This is a new project I’m starting, based off a 1790s dress. I originally saw this dress from the MET Museum fashion collection, and decided I had to make something from this time period. This dress involved a lot of detail work and I managed to photograph it fairly well, so it’ll probably take a few posts to get through. This one will cover making the bodice.

The Masquerade Dress, Photos

IMGP5374

I got photos of my masquerade dress a little bit ago, and finished editing them recently. I like how most of them turned out, and think they showcase the dress pretty well because it caught the light so much. The and dress are both made completely by me, including patterns. The mask is from a party store, and I edited it a bit to fit the costume better. You can the find making of posts of this costume here and here.

The Bird Nest Headdress

IMGP5448

I finished up a few projects this week, so before starting new ones, I spent an afternoon using up some materials I had picked up at Michaels a few months ago, and made a bird nest crown! It’s a little bit weird, and a little bit quirky, but it only took a few hours and I think it turned out fun and elegant. Or, as elegant as you can be when you have a fake bird’s nest on your head.