I’m at a pause in this project because I need to buy more flowers, so I thought it was time for another blog post! This post will cover the beginning of the flowers on the bodice, and the making of the asymmetrical skirt.
I measured everything for this skirt on fabric, and so I didn’t make a pattern. I used a fabric marking pen (the kind that fades away after a few hours), and a ruler to measure out a waistband first. Also, please excuse the funny lighting, storms were passing through so the sky kept changing, which made my photos a bit iffy.
I also cute out a large triangle (I believe about 50-something inches across) to act as the skirt.
I set the triangle to the side and sewed the waistband together, but didn’t turn it inside out so the seams were on the inside. Instead, I only did larger stitches so that it would hold together when I sewed the triangle skirt panel to it, which I gathered down to my waist size.
I pinned these both together so they would be ready to sew. This fabric is super soft and light, and therefore pretty slippery, so this was a challenge. I ended up having to do 3 rows of gathering stitches so it would hold better.
I put hooks and eyes on to the waistband and it was done! It was very floaty and flouncy just like I wanted.
Next I took out the leotard again and started work on it. I cut a bunch of really tiny fake flowers off their stems, and began laying them out to experiment.
I was loving how it was looking, but I realized pretty soon that I wasn’t going to have enough flowers.
Next would come hot gluing them all on, but I soon realized I wouldn’t have enough flowers for the entire thing, so modified my design a little to have bigger flowers on the back. However, I still need to pick up some more little flowers, so until then, this design unfortunately is having to come to a pause.
Hopefully I can get to the store soon to continue it!