In an effort to use up extra fabric, I’ve been designing costumes around the various pieces of fabric I have around, but have never used. This was one of those projects. Although it’s not what I probably would have designed if I just have been given the prompt, ‘space princess’, it worked well for the fabric and reminds me vaguely of a magical girl in an anime.
I started on this project with very large square of see-through pink/purple fabric. The project I originally bought it for never happened, so it was left sitting around.
I drafted up a quick sweetheart neckline bodice pattern, and then turned it into a mock-up, which fit well and looked good. This in itself was extremely pleasing to me, because having to redo patterns and mock-ups is probably my least favorite thing to do while sewing (and yet is one of the biggest parts of it!).
After this was done, I started to work on the bubble skirt, by cutting a circle skirt out of my white lining fabric. The white fabric I used was very creased, so I had to spend quite a bit of time ironing it. And yes, that is my kitten sitting on the ironing board – she likes to
destroy help with the sewing.
After this I sewed the two half-circles together at one seam, leaving the other open, and I got the remaining rectangle I had of star fabric and cut it in two, creating two rectangles joined in the middle.
It was around this point I realized I didn’t have enough fabric to sew the rectangle to the circle. Since I couldn’t buy anything new for this project, I decided to add in two small pale purple panels at the back to make up the extra space. It didn’t look how I envisioned, but it worked.I sewed the rectangle to the circle, creating a bubbling effect at the bottom. I trimmed the seam and flipped it inside out, gathering the rectangle to fit the small circle for the waist. Then, I sewed it down. I really love the effect created by it, actually, although I still dislike the purple back panel.
Next, I attached the skirt to the bodice, and closed the back seam, adding in some grommets and threading a ribbon through them so the dress could be gotten on and off and made tight. Finally, it looked like this.
I also made a star hair piece, by cutting out a star pattern, sewing it, and then stuffing it. I then hot glued it onto a big barrette. Then, I found a wig and a pair of shoes I thought would go with the costume, and tried the whole thing on.
For a project that I completed over a few days, in about 10 hours, I’m very pleased with it. The design was very much done around constraints – amount of fabric, what I already had on hand, and etc, and I didn’t expect much from it. However, I’ve been pleasantly surprised. Hopefully, I’ll be getting proper photos up of it very soon.