It feels like I’ve been gone forever, but I’m finally back! After I got back from my vacation, all sorts of things seemed to happen at once that put sewing at the back of my mind. However, I’m very ready to start posting about projects and things I have been working on. One of the things I have made recently and adore is this girls gingham dress. It has a button up back and a ribbon waist tie, and I just can’t get over how it turned out! In this post I’ll be writing about how I made it.
I started with the measurements of the girl it was made for, and made a two piece bodice pattern. This was cut out of lining and the gingham fabric. I used a plain purple cotton for lining.
Next, I sewed the pieces together, making the seams invisible. Excuse the puckering in the picture, I hadn’t yet trimmed around the curves and ironed it!
After this, I marked out button holes and placement on the back opening of the dress. I decided on 5 buttons on the bodice, and one that would be on the skirt, so it could be opened up enough to easily get it on and off. First I sewed the button holes.
Finally, it was time for the skirt. I gathered a piece of gingham approximately two times the waist measurement of the girl. This is where I should mention that I have a love/hate relationship with this fabric – it’s so light and easy to gather, but it frays so quickly and easily! It’s more delicate than I originally expected. I pinned the gathered gingham onto the bodice.
The final dress was very cute and I love how it turned out!