I have been feeling terrible because I got my wisdom teeth out, but as I’ve started to feel better I finished up this dress! I am actually pretty happy with how it turned out. This post will cover the sleeves, skirt, and apron.
After I finished the bodice, I began on the skirt. I started by measuring and marking out 2 inch pleats. I then pinned them and sewed them down.
Then, I sewed down the pleats to the bodice, and ironed the seams flat. I washed off the chalk marks with stain remover.
I also ironed the pleats further down the skirt. I put it on over the petticoats and bustle pad, and it looked like this!
The bottom was way too long, so I trimmed it and then hemmed it off.
Next, I drafted up a sleeve pattern and cut out the pieces. I did up the seams, and then sewed them to the bodice.
Next, I cut out a square two times the width of my arm, and gathered both ends down. I attached one to the sleeves I had already attached to the bodice, and the other end was gathered down onto a cuff, which closed with a hook and eye.
In the end, they looked like this!
I then made an apron with an old, embroidered fabric I found in my mother’s old fabric stash. It’s lined with a white cotton, and is a basic tie on apron. At first, I planned to make it a rectangle, but decided I liked it better being slightly smaller at the waist.
After that, the dress was done!
I have to wait till the swelling in my face goes down a little more to photograph the dress, but overall I’m pleased with it. I especially like the puff to the sleeves, and the way the skirt looks over all the petticoats, although I can’t imagine wearing this everyday!